Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Last Week of Classes....

Single digit days until I return home. It will definitely be bittersweet considering the last few days I had with my students. I took my morning class out for breakfast on Wednesday. They are insane as evidenced in the pictures. This class was much younger in age than my night class. They were a great bunch though. We had a party yesterday and they brought empanadas, cola, and gifts! I received a pair of pantelones, a t-shirt, an Ecuadorian bag, finger puppets, and a beach dress...plus many hugs and kind words. The best, however, was a speech (toast) made by Eduardo. He is a captain in the Air Force and is one of my favorites. Only about half of his speech was captured on video but what he said brought me to tears.




When we were told that our students will be what we remember the most, they weren´t kidding. Not only did I have the opportunity to teach them, I have made friends and will forever have connections here in Ecuador.



big brother and sister

Eduardo


McDonald's at 0900 after our LAST class. Claire had to get a Tango McFlurry. I wasn't hungry, just thirsty...and it was one of my gifts!

Same holds true for my night class. I had more adults in this one. They were a goofy bunch as well and I will always remember how TARDY many of them were but we still had a lot of fun. For our despida, we went out for pizza. I´ve made many great friends in this class and was even asked to be the GODMOTHER of Evelyn. She is 14 and has never been baptized. Her dad, Walter, is in class, as is her sister. Walter, in his very poor but best English, asked if I would be a part of the ceremony. I´m not sure if it will really happen but tomorrow would be the mass. I don´t plan on signing any papers but if they want me there, I will. Funny thing is that Claire was also asked to be the godmother of her host family´s unborn child. We had a good laugh about it.
On the last night of class, they gave me a necklace and earrings that Hortensia had made. She is so talented! She beautiful beaded jewelry and also paints. I went over to her suite yesterday to see what she had for sale. OMG! The beads!!! What fun!
Tomas gave a speech and it was as touching as Eduardo's.
Andy, Katty, Tomas, Hortensia
Evelyn, my "goddaughter"
Maricela, Walter, Evelyn
Chop, chop, Walter!!
I will never forget my students. What a wonderful thing technology is. We exchanged emails and I hope to keep in touch with many of them. They have opened their hearts, minds and even their homes to me. They were my family here during this difficult time being away from my OWN family and friends. Trust me, I was well taken care of down here!
But....I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow getting close to being done huh..I like the goddaughter/mother thing...That is so cool!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jayne, so I'm curious to know if they gave their speeches in English or Spanish :) See you soon. Donna

    ReplyDelete