Friday, June 26, 2009

First Week of School

Well, it´s Friday and I am exhausted! The week has been an extremely LONG one. I´m not sure why. Busy, yes, but that didn´t make it go any faster. It feels like I´ve been here for 3 months instead of just shy of 3 weeks!

STUDENTS: Both of my classes consist of adults and teenagers. The majority being adults with various occupations such as English teachers, 2 engineers, a lawyer, a leutinent in the Ecuadorian military, an optomitrist(so he says), a business manager, a few who are completing their college degrees, etc. I absolutely LOVE my students!! They are enthusiastic and just want to learn. They value the English language so they can use it in their jobs, to travel, to get a better job, etc. I teach a conversation class so all we do is TALK and do various activities and games! I try to do as little as possible but they really love to hear a native speaker. Like any language, the hardest part is conversing. I am finding that to be true with my Spanish. The teenagers are great as well. They are well-behaved and very polite. The only rules I need in the classroom are NO CELL PHONES and ENGLISH ONLY. It´s great!

I´ve had 3 students ask me to have a ¨Conversation Club" on Saturday mornings. One hour of English for an hour of Spanish in return. Seems like a deal but I haven´t committed to that yet.

I found a father and daughter who are avid runners and hope to do a 10k with them in August right before I come home. We´ll see.

SCHOOL: Administration is more or less a nightmare. They are very unorganized. We got our rosters last Friday and I expected 12 students in one class and the first day I ended up with 30. Imagine a classroom with room with 8 tables and 16 chairs. Packed in like sardines. That´s it! As my level of frustration rose, I flew downstairs and in my best broken Spanish was trying to tell them that I had total CHAOS upstairs. Going up and down 5 flights of stairs 3 times at 9000ft takes your breath away! Long story short, it took 1 hr 15 min to get things settled. I hope by Monday that we are all set. I have 29 students in one class and 26 in another. But they come and go and you never know who is going to show up. It´s part of the culture. I need to bring my own supplies. All I have to teach with is a white board. The school gave us an eraser and one dry erase marker. Thanks! You learn to make due.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! It does sound hectic. How much spanish do you need when in Class? Did your training give you ideas for working in the classroom? What did the training consist of? Did the training help? How long are the classes each day? Do you have other school responsibilities? Is this an Ecuadorian run school? Do all of your fellow teachers from the US teach at the same school? Can I help with supplies? I have tons of dry erase markers that I've had donated to me. Can I send other supplies? If so, what do you need/like? I WOULD LIKE TO HELP!! Let me know if this is a real possibility. If we can send supplies, what is the best method for sending them without incurring a small fortune in shipping fees? Are there any organizations that can help get you supplies or give me information on how I can help?

    The pictures you've been sending have been great! You new "home" looks fantastic. What do you do in the evenings?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I really feel for your situation. Teachers in the US don't realize how good we have it even in the worst situations. We waste to much in this country. I imagine our throwaways would be welcomed in countries like Ecuador. From what I've seen in the rainforest school, stuff we consider junk is sometimes better than what they currently use.

    Let me know if I can help!!!

    Keep up the great work. Send pictures of your students.

    Talk to you soon. E-mail me with your replies if that works better for you.

    Denny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I asked a lot of questions before but I need to ask a couple more?

    Would money work better than sending supplies?

    Could you purchase some things for your classroom on your own or is that a no no?

    If money would work, what's the best way to get it to you?


    Let me know ASAP. Let me know any details other than what I've asked.

    Denny

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds crazY!!!!!!!!!!! I think i would like ur class though. Just talking. If there was a class on that I would have graduated top of class A few years ago. Just ask my family!]
    I enjoy ur blog and love reading it.
    Breanna LInna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aunt Jayne, Your pictures are great. Looks like you are having a great time. Can't get away from running, can you!

    Nick and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Trixie,
    Can't wait to hear more about your adventure!
    Miss you!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete