Saturday, June 13, 2009

Very thirsty...

The city is DRY this weekend!! And why?? Because there is some VOTE that is taking place. Can you even imagine?? What would my thirsty friends do?? We´re trying to deal with it the best we can. It´s really ok. :o)

There is $$ in Ecuador! Found the big mall last night and wow! Puts anything we have to shame! Very upscale and many stores. Ecuadorians are very concerned with the way they look and dress. We also saw the other side of the coin this morning. We were in the middle of our class on the second floor of our hotel and out of nowhere comes this elderly woman, mumbling spanish of which no one could understand. She was begging for money and charity of any sort. She was crying and extremely desparate. It was very disturbing to me. Ecuador has no form of social security for the elders so this practice is not uncommon.

Off to salsa dance lessons. We´ll see what they can teach this two left-footed woman in an hour!
Woo, woo!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jayne, I hope this comment gets through. I've been enjoying your adventure. How are the other students? Are they all college age? How are the teachers for the classes you are currently taking? I'm anxious for you to start teaching and hear about your students. How is the home life for you down there? Is your place of residence as good as you expected?

    Let me know that you recieved this (by e-mail)so that I know that I working this blog thing the correct way.

    Denny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope ur having fun learning to dance! its 80 degrees here today! hot hot hot. hope u find somthing to drink! Sounds like you having an intresting time. I enjoy readinging ur blog
    Breanna linna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayne,
    So interesting. I attempted to send a comment a few days ago, but it's not here. Could you also email me to let me know if you got this?
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi hun...gald to hear your trip is going well. You are missed dearly in Green Bay/Egg Harbor. Golfing up north this week and the guys all say "hey." Talk soon, xoxo Jer

    ReplyDelete