Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happenings from the past week...

Well, Ive attempted the picture thing but it takes a really long time. I miss the convenience of WiFi. I will continue to upload as time permits.

Last week...we took a cab to Old Towne Quito for dinner at Vista Hermosa. It is perhaps the most beautiful view in the city. We ate dinner outside on the rooftop under the stars (ok, they were there but you cannot see them due mostly to air pollution). But I imagined them being there. The lights from the city were enough. The Basillica Church was quite unbelievable as well. More time is needed in Old Towne. A great place to see the architecture, 32 churches, tiendas (stores) and more.

Teleferico -- This is relatively new...they say 3-4 years old. It is a cable car ride that takes you to 4100 meters (math people, figure that out). I cant even describe the view from the top. Anyone who is afraid of heights, yeah, this MIGHT not be for you. It was as if you were in the clouds. The Teleferico took you so high then we walked even higher. This was an awesome place to just sit and take in the view. Breathtaking....it was also great to get out of the smoky, smoggy, stinky city. We were in the Pichinchas (a volcano) and as we walked we came upon some HORSES!! Oh my gawd!! In my broken Spanish I was able to communicate with the local Ecuadorian woman and we got an hour ride for $10!! Hopped right on the horses and climbed even further up the Pichinchas. A little scary at times but the lady walked right along with us, all the while talking in Spanish. I have some great photos but the best ones are in Sarahs camera. Note to self....always bring extra batteries. We were decked out in sombreros and ponchos. A little cool, nonetheless. If you know how much I love horses...you know that I was in heaven. :o) If I had to go home that day, I would have been one happy gringo.

More later...gotta head to class.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time. Linda and I have been anxiously awaiting your blogs. Do you start teaching this week? I've started my class and it's great but I'd rather be in Ecuador.

    Gotta go. I have some homework and journaling to do.

    Can't wait to hear and see more.

    Denny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those batteries go like crazy. I blow through hundreds in one day! Are the horses really pretty? It sounds like your busy.

    ReplyDelete