Thursday, July 9, 2009

If I ever see or smell mustard again...

it will be too soon. This week started off with a bang. I got my wake-up call on Monday reminding me that I am a foreigner in this country. It was a great morning until the walk home. Carrie and I parted ways. She went to the Trole and I continued my walk home until I decided to stop at Payless Shoes. UGH!! First of all, it should be called "PayMORE". The same pair of shoes that I bought in GB for $4 cost....$50 here!!! No joke! Donna, they are the brown wedges that we both have!! So, I´m minding my own business, backpack on my back. A guy scoots by me pretty close and all of a sudden another guy points to my backpack and yup, I got MUSTARD´d. I´m assuming the first guy did the squirting. If you can imagine the stinky yellow stuff all over my backpack, running down my leg, etc. LOVELY!!!! The second guy just conveniently had napkins in his hands and offered to help. He took my backpack and starting wiping it up. Reminder, this was IN the store. There was a guard who came up so I wasn´t too worried. What these guys do are squirt and then offer to help and then take off with your stuff. I didn´t get robbed, just messed upon. Needless to say, I grabbed my backpack and got the heck out of there. And for what??? Because I wanted to look at a stupid pair of SHOES!!! Who needs them anyways? I´ve only worn one pair down here and then my running shoes.

Funny thing is that we were warned about this in orientation. You never think that it will happen to you. I told my students about it and no one in either of the classes ever heard of this happening. It´s common. No worries, it´s all good!

Big futbol game for Quito tonight. Their team, LIGA is playing Brazil in town. You think Packer games are big?? And this isn´t even the national team. These people are CRAZY!! I´m sitting in Mariscal Foch (Gringoland) and at noon today the bars were already blowing up balloons, setting up a HUGE outdoor screen, and people are going to be drinking way too much. It cost $15 for a ticket but they are really hard to come by. I may have to end my class early tonight so folks can go watch.

Hola todas personas!
Abrazos y besos,
Chao!

3 comments:

  1. You should have payed attention in your orientation class. Lucky they didn't get your stuff. Just like Joanne we read your blog daily. It is really fun to find out what you have been doing. Take Care!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I would be so freaked out. I am not a fan of mustard so I really would have freaked. The futbol game sounds like fun. I would love to be a part of that. I love it when people come together for somthing like futbol! :)
    Breanna Linna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo enjoyed reading all the comments and your experiences. Be careful and take care of yourself. You should get the package in 7 more days unless Customs decide to hold it up a little. Take care and we love you. Mom and Dad.

    Hi Jayne,
    Still love ya and miss you. Take care.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete