Thursday, July 16, 2009

Random thoughts after 5 weeks...

I´ve been here just over 5 weeks now and have gotten used to many new things living in this country but there are a few that I will never overcome:

-- Walking down the street and not looking anyone in the eye. No one smiles, no one says hello, nothing. Just get the heck out of their way or they run you over.

-- Traffic...absolutely crazy. You can go pay $40 for a driver´s license and anyone can drive. The only rule they obey are traffic lights (for the most part). Stop signs are optional, pedestrians are potential road kill, cars and buses speed up when they see you, motorcycles drive and park on the sidewalks, random cars will be parked on sidewalks, little kids (4-5yrs) riding on the front of motorcycles and in the back of pickup trucks. Safety first!

-- Random dogs sleeping in the middle of the sidewalks. Almost tripped on one yesterday. No fail, though, between 9-9:30 at night there is a dog fight right outside my window.

-- People with their vending carts, sitting on the corner or sidewalks everyday, all day long. I see the SAME woman with her young daughter just sitting there. Does she even make $5 a day? I doubt it. I see the same man with his hand out begging for money, same place everyday.

-- Milk in bags and boxes, sitting on the shelf in stores, not refrigerated. This, I will never get used to. I´ve been longing for some ice cold, good o´l Wisconsin milk!!!

-- Eggs sitting on the shelves as well. Those of you who don´t eat eggs after expiration date...get over it. You´ll survive!

-- Having to bring toilet paper wherever you go. Like American Express, never leave home without it!!

-- Finding some the cheapest things (beer $1.00 per big bottle, .02 per copy, $.05 per min to call US, $1.50-2.00 lunch, bus rides to anywhere in the country - $1.00 per hour) and some of the most expensive things (shoes, jeans, electronics, golf--there´s only 1 golf course in all of Quito!)

-- Riding the Trole and being the only gringa on the bus. You learn to look down, look out, or close your eyes and hold on to your bag as if it were gold.

-- Carbohydrates, carbohydrates, carbohydrates. If I eat another potato, I think I´ll gag! For lunch, in soups, for dinner. Blah! Bread and rice galore!! UGH!

-- People who are out to get the foreigners. Their tactics are quite sneaky but have been rather unsuccessful with my WorldTeach group. Besides being mustard´d, another volunteer, George, had his backpack cut while riding on a bus. The worst part about it was that this guy used his wife and 4yr old to distract him. Best part about it was that the dude only got a thing of deoderant. Was it really worth it?? Carrie got her front pocket picked on the bus. Lost $3. These people won´t hurt you, they just want your stuff. Give it up and you´ll be fine.

-- You realize how much you have at home and don´t really need...the material things, that is. Clothes especially. With one pair of jeans, a few shirts, and not the 50 pairs of shoes I have at home, one can survive. Ok, so I am wearing the same clothes in all of my pictures. Oh well!!

-- The beauty of the ponytail. The world´s most convenient hairstyle.

-- How wonderful my students are. They are lovely people who really care about you. They are so excited to see you and give you a kiss on the cheek everyday, even the kids. It´s part of their culture.

-- How much you miss your family and friends. This has been a great experience thus far but I just wished all of you could be here.

-- How absolutely BEAUTIFUL this country is. I´m in awe every day of the geography and variety that Ecuador has to offer. I doubt there is any other place quite like it.

-- How much more there is to do here. Time is running out and there is still so much more I want to do and see. I may have to come back some day...just to VISIT and not work. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment