Monday, July 6, 2009

Random happenings from the past week...6/29-7/3

FOOD...
I continue to eat like a pig. There´s just so much of it here. Desayuno (breakfast) is with Carrie and Claire. Out of desparation we ate at Burger King last week. How lame is that? First time in an American fast food joint. I do have to admit, it was really good! Tried Crepes n Waffles this morning but the place doesn´t open until noon. Ecuadorians are NOT big on breakfast. They really don´t eat much other than bread and coffee/tea. We have to search hard for eggs and waffles and pancakes are almost nonexistant. They do have the best Pandaria´s (bread shops) though. Favorite is Pan de Leche. It is not bread as we know it...more like croissants, rolls, etc. Lunch is a different story. Today, once again, SOUP, lentils, rice, pieces of pork, sliced tomoato and chocolate helado (ice cream). No wonder these people nap all afternoon! Dinner will be the same soup as lunch and way too much of whatever she makes. However....

We´ve joined a gym!!
This will hopefully offset all the food we´ve been eating. Claire and I are the newest members of LIFT. It looks to be safe, clean, and friendly. One month for $60. Well worth it! Carrie wants NOTHING to do with the joint. She still gets winded going up 5 flights at this altitude! Funny! Tomorrow is the first day.

Museo de Guyasamin
Took a cab with Karen and toured the museum. One of Ecuador´s most popular artists. Paintings are all over the city, especially in the markets. Very beautiful but some are disturbing. Need to go back to tour his house. We missed it but it is amazing, overlooking Quito.

Whoo Haa's

People you meet...
I have some wonderful locals here in Quito. They´re not all out to rob and steal from me! The first one being Fanny. She is the owner of a tienda just up the block where I get my copies made. She is so sweet and helps me with my Spanish. She took me out to lunch the other day. She paid for cab as well. We then went to el Jardin Mall on Amazonas and she practiced English and I Spanish as we window shopped.

I opened the door for a lady at the apartment and we ended up talking (yes, in Spanish). She too, was very nice. She invited me to a concert last Monday night but I was unable to go because I teach. Bummer. I would have gone.

Guards at the apartment...gotta love these guys. Lenny and ?? I bring them cookies and candy. Its good to know these people.

AnaMaria´s family...I´ve met two sons (Juan Carlos y Roberto), two daughters (Maria Lorena y Lucia) two granddaughters (Andrea, 19 y Ana Maria, 27) and one great-granddaughter (Amelia, 4) and Fluffy (the little white dog) All are muy amble (very kind). Roberto climbed to the summit of Mt Cotopaxi this past Saturday. He said it was very difficult, very cold and altitude was an issue. Juan Carlos stopped for lunch last week. Very funny guy (at least we laughed a lot, even if I couldn´t understand all he was saying). Andrea is a great girl. She can speak English but won´t around us. She just finished her first semester of university (college). Yesterday, Lucia, Amelia, Fluffy, Ana Maria (jr & sr) and I went for a ride to Old Town where Ameila and Fluffy chased pigeons. Very cute! Then went to Crepes n Waffles. Had a scoop of gelato type ice cream, guanabana (my favorite flavor for juice). Had a very nice time. Amelia and I were teaching each other Spanish/English. She doesn´t know much but will start learning in school next year. She is ADORABLE and I may just find one like her to bring back with me!


Drunk dude on the bus...
New roommate, Blake...
Students-- Ross, WIlma, Hortensia, Katty...

more later..






3 comments:

  1. Hi Jayne, it was awesome talking with you Saturday. I don't know how you get everything done. I just read your update and you just never stop. I cannot wait to see all of the pictures. Are their gyms different than ours? Love You, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jayne, It is great to be able to hear and see what you are doing. Been checking the blog daily. I agree with Donna, how are you getting all of this done??? And when are you going to find time to go to the gym? Love and miss you, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breanna Linna (jrbk9 news)July 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM

    I liked the guards LOL! He he it is good to know them. Amelia sounds so cute :) You have a busy schedual! Ecuador sure keeps you busy I guess!
    Breanna

    ReplyDelete