Friday, July 3, 2009

To answer some of your questions...

-- Streets of Quito are not good to run on due to CRAZY traffic and sidewalks are of very poor quality. Many people run in the parks. I haven´t ventured out yet but am going to this weekend. On Sundays, one of the main streets (Amazonas) is closed to vehicles so bikers, walkers, runners can enjoy.

-- Hi Breanna! I love your comments. Hope you´re having a great summer!

-- Hi to Jack and Justice. I´ll email soon.

-- The guy in the picture does not have a snake. He is ¨slingin¨taffy in BaƱos. This is great stuff. I have some to bring home. I hope it lasts.

-- I´m teaching an intermediate level of English so I expect my students to speak only in English. We keep a tally on the board if I hear Spanish. However, if there is something that they just don´t get then we will give the Spanish translation. The basic level of English needs to use Spanish a bit more due to students hardly knowing their OWN language.

-- I´ve been able to get around a bit with very limited Spanish. However, it can be frustrating at times. The dude at school set my computer up for wireless and he put a ¨protection¨on it and now I can´t use it at other WiFi locations. You should have seen that conversation when I went back to tell him he messed it up. I´m still dealing with it today. Every day ¨stuff¨is the hardest. BUT, I can finally tell the cab driver how to get to my apartment without showing him the address on paper. I take a cab home EVERY night from school because I don´t dare walk the 4 blocks.

-- The training for teaching English was fairly intense. We did that during orientation and the directors gave us some good ideas for games and activities. I still use the internet for additional lesson plans, videos, music, etc. The WorldTeach office has a great library with several resources.

-- I teach 0700-0900am and then from 1800-2000pm at SECAP which is a government-run. It cost $40 to take my 7 week class and its M-F. Pretty cheap!!! At night, I come home, eat, and go right into my bedroom to plan. Exhausted by the end of the day.

-- There are 3 of us in Quito. Others in are Ambato, Riobamba, Machala, Cuenca, Tena, Ibarra, Loja, Bahia ?? (some awesome beach on the coast), and another smaller town 2 hrs west of Otavalo. I´ve got some great stories to remember and share.

-- Some of you asked if you could send supplies. Thank you for the offer but I think it would be more hassle than what its worth. I´ve boughten all of my supplies (with the exception of 1 dry erase marker, and 1 eraser). I make all my own copies too. It can get expensive but oh well. Also, it takes 2 weeks to send a package (we´ll see if mom´s will arrive) and then the summer is almost over. So THANK YOU for your willingness to help out. I don´t think you can even send $$.

2 comments:

  1. Breanna Linna (jrbk9news)July 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM

    Isn't it weird that the normal stuff when you go someplace are the things you dont think you have to worry about end up being the hardest part of the whole trip! Thanks for expaining the picture. Thats a whole lot of taffy!!!!!!!!
    Breanna Linna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying your blog. I haven't writtin much because my class has a lot of homework. I'm really enjoying my class but don't have time for much else. The class will be over next week. Until then I won't write.
    Keep writting your blog. It makes my day to see it and how much you're enjoying yourself.

    Denny

    ReplyDelete